Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fire and Ice Alvarez

Earlier I had written about Pedro Alvarez of the Pittsburgh Pirates as he was in the midst of his hot streak. Little did I know at the time but the streak would end the next day. It's been a free fall ever since.


If all baseball players had theme songs the choice for Alvarez might be Fire and Ice. In a game of streaks I can't recall such extremes. A couple of players who had been burned by him before laughed when I told them I had picked him up. 


May 4th was his zenith. Like Icarus he had flown too high. His average on that day was a respectable .260 but its been a steady retreat ever since. Over the last 16 games he is 6 for 51 as his average has dropped to .202 and he is without a home run in that stretch. Maybe he started pressing too much once he realized what he was capable of. Who knows?


I took a chance on him but I don't have time for him to possibly have another hot streak. I have a group of catchers that are depleted by injury and a replacement is needed. It is a classic example of want and need and my need of a catcher certainly out weighs my want for Alvarez to turn things around. Its just part of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment