Monday, December 10, 2012

My Take on Shields-Myers trade

As a Royals fan I figured I'd throw my two cents about the Shields-Myers trade in the conversation hat. For the record I am fine with it. At first glance it may appear that the Royals over paid but that truly won't be known for sure until a couple years down the road. For the players involved I think the Royals did pretty good. The Royals have had a horrid pitching staff the last couple years that easily contended for the worst in MLB. Injuries and under performing minor league pitchers left the future rosters in doubt. Securing Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie after the season were two important steps in the right direction. James Shields now gives the Royals a legit top of rotation guy they haven't had since Greinke. Shields is only two seasons removed from his best ever when he finished third in the Cy Young voting. Throw in Wade Davis and the Royals have another talented arm that could make claim to the fourth or fifth spot. While I love the type of players that Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi were they were still unproven at the Major League level. While I hope Myers is able to have a stellar career his winning the Minor League Player of the Year is no guarantee of that. There's every chance he could be the next Rocco Baldelli instead of the next Derek Jeter. Its all about betting on potential. Could a penny stock develop into the next microsoft? That's the question. The Royals got back two pitchers that help them now and give them two good years to make a run for it. Some say they gave up the future to do it but that is a chance I'm glad they took.

No comments:

Post a Comment