Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fantasy Baseball Managers Hold Breath

The off season in Major League Baseball can be exciting, frustrating or both for fantasy baseball managers in keeper leagues. All the transactions being made through trades and free agency can affect your roster either directly or through the addition or subtraction of another player. These moves usually don't affect established players but can greatly change the future of up and comers. I made some late season transactions the last month of our season and hoped for the best.


One move was to pick up Daniel Bard of the Boston Red Sox. I gambled that Jonathan Papelbon would no longer be with the team. When Papelbon signed with the Phillies I did a little happy dance and figured Bard was a lock. Then reports came out that the Red Sox were looking at other closers and were looking to give Bard a shot at the starting rotation in the spring. Since starters are generally more valuable than closers I was happy about the possible upgrade. If Bard can correct his late season control issues I can hope he's the next C.J. Wilson. Then yesterday the Red Sox closed the door on their closer position by trading for Andrew Bailey. Bailey is also one of my players under contract for one more season and the move from Oakland to Boston is a definite upgrade. Time for another happy dance.


Another player I made a reach for was Bryan LaHair of the Chicago Cubs. I figured that Carlos Pena would be gone through free agency and LaHair could get a shot. Pena is still there but his name is still being mentioned by a few teams. Where Pena lands likely depends on Prince Fielder and where he takes his talents. Unfortunately it has been mentioned that Fielder could end up with the Cubs which would block my LaHair move. There have been positive vibes from Theo Epstein that the Cubs would be willing to give LaHair the chance it they don't bring in a bigger name.


He wasn't a late season pick up but a player I've long had high hopes for is Eric Young Jr of the Colorado Rockies. I had him on my roster at the beginning of the season when I carried him over from the previous year at $7, then dropped him and picked him back up a few weeks later for $5. Young is a base stealing machine and just needs a chance. Yet now he is at the back of a log jam at second and the Rockies are stock piling outfielders too with the addition of Michael Cuddyer and some talent waiting to burst on the scene from the minors. I think Young's best hope is to be traded to a team willing to give some playing time.

It's only a few months away until our draft and we have to set our final keeper rosters. Plenty can happen between now and then as witnessed by the many off season deals. At that time I will finally exhale.

No comments:

Post a Comment